28 June 2010

Phase 2: Week 6

What happened to week 5 I hear you shout?
Sorry! Even with the supposed early post, I completely crapped out!
I've been away with work this week and had to go to London for various reasons prior to flying.

It's been a great week and the enhanced vitamin D production and being amongst good colleagues has given me some new energy so that over the past four days of being back, I've more than made up for the loss of gym time!


I am nearly half way through my Phase 2 stage and next week, I think it would be good to do a summary report and picture comparison. I'll get that ready for you all!!

I've had a request to post up a typical work out and days eating to help others see what is potentially working for me!

It's not secret that I used to do some gymnastics when younger and I have always followed roughly a similar ethic for training to maintain lean, strong and flexible physique.

The key points in my workout are to increase flexibility and size while maintaining shape.
This is being achieved through a variety of simple exercises to achieve strength density and overall size. (I hope).

A workout still consists for me of eight exercises, no more than two per body part. I am a big fan of push pull routines when time is constrained but presently, full body exercises are more than adequate.

I'll outline what the workout could consist of and the reasons for choosing specific exercises:

Flat Bench Press
Narrow Grip Incline / Decline bench press

Narrow grip is to ensure size and strength in the lower pectorals and the triceps. These are core for parallel bar work. They can be changed out for dips with a weighted belt.

Lat pull down / weighted Pull ups

I perform these with negative reps as they are amazing for increasing static strength for ring discipline. Changing the stance of your lower torso can also add to overall outcome by allowing easy movement while on the rings.

Dumbbell rows
I heart these for size on the lats but they have no real impact for flexibility

Squats
For explosive power while on the floor, (which I of course do not do anymore!!) Squats or clean and jerk type exercises can help to build fast twitch strength if done at medium weight with high reps. Done at a faster pace should be useful. I am still in a stage of physio for my knee and therefore I'm just lifting to build the quads back up!

Leg push back
I'm not sure of what the correct exercise title is but these are like a leg kick back where you push on a bar to help the hamstring and glutes. These are actually quite good for my flexibility and I must say it has improved my lower flexibility and strengh. This is of course subjected as it's been quite bad for years...

Leg raises and general work on the pull up bars then ensues as I try and practice a variety of moves to enhance core strengh.

I then move to shoulder exercises as powerful shoulders with good static strengh give greater stability and holding time on strength disciplines like bars / rings / pommel. This could be lateral raises, shoulder press or a variety of moves on the cable cross machine.


For food. I eat. And eat. And eat. Whatever I can. I don't eat enough for the size I would like but I'm trying!! Protein and Carbs and Fat are all taken in without counting as long as the calories are consumed at the right times to ensure no carbs laying on the stomach over night and that protein isn't taken in too big a quantity before work outs.


Charts...




Bodyshot....





No comments:

Post a Comment